Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Latte Crock Pot Style!


I found a recipe on a blog: A Year of Slow Cooking for Pumpkin Spice Lattes made in a Crock-Pot.  It is definitely one of my favorite fall/winter time drinks at coffee shops so it caught my attention.  The recipe ingredients looked a little too pricy to make just for my husband and I so I waited until I had a group of friends over to splurge and try it out.  

The recipe was simple enough but as I said, there is an initial investment of purchasing the ingredients that, while they will last you a few batches, are not cheap.  

Ingredients:
2 cups milk 
2 Tbsp canned pumpkin
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup brewed espresso or 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee

1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
OR 
1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp cloves, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, and a pinch of ground ginger
Garnish with whipped cream (optional)
I also added some cinnamon atop the whipped cream

You just whisk everything together in a Crock Pot and let it simmer for about 2 hours on high.  
These amounts make enough for two people to each have 2 servings in an average size coffee cup. 

 I know that's kind of vague serving size but that is more or less what the original recipe said.  
I used the coffee version rather than the espresso because that can be expensive and I didn't have any espresso on hand- i just added a couple extra scoops to my normal coffee preference.  Also, when I was budgeting for the ingredients I didn't take into account the fact that, because it isn't November, Wal Mart only had one size in the pumpkin.  So I bought over 20oz of pumpkin for 6 Tbsp but I just threw the rest in a Pyrex in the freezer to pull out next time I want to make a batch.  The next time around it will be a lot less expensive because I now have the spices and the pumpkin.
As I said, I had 3 people over so I tripled the recipe because I knew everyone would probably want seconds and that worked out well for us each to have 2 servings with about a 1/2c (measuring cup) remaining.   


               



By the time I remembered to take a picture my whip cream was already droopy, but here is, more or less, how mine turned out.
It was a big hit with the girls and it was just right for the nice cool weather we've been getting. 
Next time I think I will add more spice to the brew just to add a little more flavor.



2 comments:

  1. It is soo funny that you are posting that because I also made this only the recipe I followed made two servings instead and you just made it on the stove, this one is much better for parties or a larger group obviously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm not sure what the purpose of the crock pot here is but it definitely made it easy!! I feel like this would work on the stove too though.

    ReplyDelete