Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Gluten Free Banana Bread



Over the last year and a half, I have become more familiar with the idea of gluten free eating. The family I work for chooses to eat gluten free (for health and diet reasons, not because of necessity).  Because of this, I have learned about GF shopping, cooking, and baking. I have discovered it makes all three quite expensive, more complicated, and rather limited. 

Baking gf is a hassle. There arent any immediate substitutions for flour so you have to either mix your own baking mix flour substitution or buy a pre mixed one. And even then, you can't just always swap it out for the amount of flour in just any recipe. 

Banana bread is one of my favorite baked goods and I was surprised to discover that the GF banana bread I make here at work is one of the most delicious ones I've ever tasted! So, I thought I'd share. I'm not going to start posting GF recipes,  ht I think this one is so good, it is worth sharing. Personally, I have some friends who have to eat gluten free and it is nice to have a tested recipe to pull out if need be. :)

The gluten free baking mix I mix up and keep on hand at work for gf recipes is from Living Without's Gluten Free Holidays magazine as follows: 

All-Purpose Flour Blend 

1/2 cup rice flour
1/4 tapioca starch
1/4 cup corn/potato starch

The BB recipe is from Gluten-free made simple cook book

Banana Bread
Ingredient:
3 ripe bananas
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter; softened
2 eggs
3 Tbsp buttermilk 
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups gluten free baking mix

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Set aside
Peel and lay bananas in a shallow dish or plate. Using a fork, mash the bananas until all small pieces are softened. 
2. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and butter (I use standing mixer). Using a mixer, beat until creamy. Add eggs and mashed bananas.  Add buttermilk mixture. Add flour baking mix. Mix well
6. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake 45-65 minutes or until knife or toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. 

Serves 10

No comments:

Post a Comment