Friday, November 2, 2012

Apple Pie

Fall is wonderful!!! My absolute favorite time of the year! I love pumpkins, cool weather, falling leaves, pumpkin spice lattes, and pies! At the first signs of fall I made my first fall pie! It has been a long time since I've made a pie. Almost 10 years I think. So I was a little nervous that it might be a lot harder than I remember but luckily, it was really pretty easy!!
I wanted to surprise Simon with an apple pie when he got home from the men's retreat he went on that weekend with our church.
I got the recipe off of allrecipies.com (as I often do).   I somehow feel better about the recipe when others have rated it "5 stars" quality rather than just finding one in a cookbook.
Maybe that's silly.  Anyways, here is my "first" pie attempt.

Ingredients:
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced

Next time I think I will try and make my own crust but since I was a bit pressed for time I decided to take the easy rout.

Directions:
1: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Melt the butter in a saucepan.
Stir in flour to form a paste.
Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil.
Reduce temperature and let simmer.




2. Press one pie crust into the bottom of the pie plate letting the excess fall over edges.  


3. Fill with sliced apples.  Next time I will cut the apples much smaller because I wasn't able to fit them all in the pie.  

Now, from here I did a lattice crust.  If you don't want to do a lattice crust then steps 4-8 are irrelevant.


4. Using a pizza cutter (at least that is what I used and it was super easy) slice the 2nd pie crust into strips about 1/2 - 1 inch wide.  Lay 4-7 strips, as shown above, across the pie.


5. Fold back every other strip half way. 


6. Lay a new strip at the edge of the folded back strips, atop the strips that remain down.  
7. Then unfold the strips. 

8. Now fold back the strips under the newly laid piece (shown above).
Repeat until the right side is finished.  Then, starting in the middle again, do the same thing to the left side. 

I had a few strips remaining once the crisscrosses were complete.  

9. Make a boarder-type crust by folding back the hanging-over dough to form a little wall preventing the liquid from dripping off.  Mine isn't very good but you get the idea.  

10. Now pour the warm sugar mixture OVER the lattice crust.  Aim for the holes and be careful not to let the liquid get too close to the edges or it will slip off in the oven and burn.

Bake 15 minutes in preheated oven.  THEN: Reduce hear to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30-45 minutes  


Right after I took it out it was still pretty liquidy.  But after it cooled and was in the fridge it was firm and held together well.  That may have partly been because I wasn't able to fit all of the apples in (I cut them too big) yet I didn't adjust the amount of liquid.  


We enjoyed it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  
Simon and I both thought it was a keeper.  Next time I will add a few spices to the liquid mixture.  Maybe some cinnamon. 


Directions w/o pictures:

1: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Melt the butter in a saucepan.
Stir in flour to form a paste.
Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil.
Reduce temperature and let simmer.

2. Press one pie crust into the bottom of the pie plate letting the excess fall over edges

3. Fill with sliced apples.  Next time I will cut the apples much smaller because I wasn't able to fit them all in the pie.  

4. Cover with lattice crust (instructions below)  


5.  Make a boarder type crust by folding back the hanging over dough to form a little wall to prevent the liquid from dripping off.  Mine isn't very good but you get the idea.  

6.  Now pour the warm sugar mixture OVER the lattice crust.  Aim for the holes and be careful not to let the liquid get too close to the edges or it will slip off in the oven.

7. Bake 15 minutes in preheated oven.  
8. THEN: Reduce hear to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30-45 minutes  
Let cool.  


Lattice Crust:
1. Using a pizza cutter (at least that is what I used and it was super easy) slice the 2nd pie crust into strips about 1/2 - 1 inch wide.  Lay 4-7 strips, as shown above, across the pie.

2. Fold back every other strip half way. 


3. Lay a new strip at the edge of the folded back strips, atop the strips that remain down.
  
4. Then unfold the strips. 

5. Now fold back the strips under the newly laid piece.

Repeat until the right side is finished.  Then, starting in the middle again, do the same thing to the left side.  I had a few strips remaining once the crisscrosses were complete. 



No comments:

Post a Comment